I absolutely love these cut outs, top of the tree! Found on Colossal. Cut outs illuminated by light can be incredibly effective. It seems these are hand cut from watercolour paper. I wonder what weight?
Because of the feedback I’ve had from my tutor on typography and being bolder and thinking it’s use through more carefully, I decided I should have another go at this poster.
This one didn’t work well …
But I do think this one works better than the first design I did.
I think the large ‘stop’ is important and having it slightly opaque so that it doesn’t interrupt the image too much, works.
It’s great to get feedback and feel inspired to go back into images I thought I’d resolved and realise that there is plenty more I can make of them. I enjoyed and think I improved the fruit and veg exercise my going back into it. The most frustrating thing is that because my iPad app was playing up and I thought deleting stored images would help revive it, that I cut the book cover illustrations, meaning that though I wanted to have another go at them I would have to start from scratch, and, erm, I don’t have the heart! So though, having looked at Marion Deuchars’ Orwell illustrations, and fully appreciate the further work I could do, I’ve decided not to start for scratch. I realise I should have done the book spines too, and another time I do book covers I will have a go at this. I think Deuchars’ covers are very effective and feel contemporary while retaining a backward look at the familiar and much loved Penguin original designs.
Moving on, I tried to play a bit further with digital versions of the typography for the cut out cards. I agree that the digital type doesn’t work as well as the cut out type, particularly the Stand Up cut out text does work well as it’s integrated with the image more strongly than the other cut out images. But since it’s simpler to experiment with the digital type a bit more I’ve had a go. I am still not convinced the digital type works well, even in these new versions, but I have tried to push the type further, to reflect the meaning in the cards.
I looked at nutrejeweller to understand the idea of cards that can be popped up. I do see that the cards I’ve created could work like this, but I’d have to redo the cut outs and experiment with the idea… I will if I find time!
I’ve been pointed to Mark Hearld and Jonny Hannah which I find quite funny because they couldn’t be more spot on as suggestions for me… I’ve already got books on both of them! I discovered them both while I was doing my illustration course and there was a Mark Hearld exhibition at YSP last year which I really enjoyed. I’ve seen videos of Marion Bantjes talking about her work, and am familiar with a lot of the artists on St Jude’s Gallery website. There are a couple of suggestions on the list that are new to me though, and I will be looking at them over the next week or two.
Finally, having already moved on to section three of the course I realise now that I am not being bold enough with type, which has prompted me to look at the work I’ve already started for section three and to be more bold with the typography and think over it’s role in the overall image more carefully.
I’m acutely aware if the fine line between creating original work, being inspired and influenced by others and reinterpreting others’ work, copying it to learn techniques and finally re- appropriation. I am probably more aware of copyright issues than many others because of my job role and know that it largely comes down to ones own attitude to risk and sensitivity. For instance I made a calculation that a photo of flames I found on the internet was common enough to reuse it and embed within a drawing I created. I did recently go to an exhibition and find a young illustrator selling reindeer heads made out of cardboard. A direct rip off of a popular manufacture of an almost identical design. Why do it? I wonder if she felt guilty. Interesting article in the Guardian supplement about this today and a good original illustration to go with it by Paul Thurlby.
Here is a more resolved approach to fruit and veg developing. The thing is that the colour doesn’t stand out enough. So I created an outline around the lettering, and then also added shadow. I tried white and green lettering, and then added a dark green background which I think works quite well. I’m still not sure which image I like. Best, something to ponder on. On reflection, I think the second one down probably works best, it’s got a more refreshing feel to it and is legible.
Having received my assignment two report from my tutor, I decided to have another go at this exercise taking in board the need to integrate the text more strongly with the images and perhaps overlaying the text and using negative space.
I tried a range of things, snippets of which can be seen below. None of these worked especially well, but it was fun having another go and trying new ideas. The black was the idea that a green grocer might handwrite something on a poster in thick black marker, but it looks too black. The thing I do like though, it handwriting over the images since it gives the poster more energy. Indeed to find a way to make the colours work though.